Search This Blog

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Baked Lemon Ricotta Tart with Ginger Pastry and Golden Saxifrage


Happy New Year. I know it’s been a very long time since I last updated my blog, apologies. However I will try to keep on top of it starting now.
The main reason I haven’t up-dated my blog is because sadly Sadiq can no longer take my pictures because of other commitments, but I thank him for his skills, efforts and time.

I still get asked for the recipes of the dishes I create at Kaffeine, so I shell up-date redjarcooking without shinny wonderful pictures for now. I still have a few remaining images which I will use from time to time. I'm also looking into investing in a decent camera. Plus my secret Santa bought me an amazing book on food photography, which I'm currently reading.
In the meantime I will be re-editing some of my recipes and work on more recipes cards, which are still available at Kaffeine.

Here is my latest recipe, a savoury baked ricotta tart. It looks very festive on a plate (you'll have to take my word) and I've garnished this ricotta tart with a foraged item Golden Saxifrage. Crisp, textural and ever so slightly bitter leafy green. Best eaten raw and lightly dressed with lemon juice and olive oil. The refreshing taste of golden saxifrage goes well with creamy citrus ricotta, sweet tomato sauce and slightly spiced flaky pastry. You may find this recipe a tad labour intensive to make, none the less the end result is very therapeutic.

PASTRY:
300g plain flour
150g butter
50g grated cheddar
1 egg
3 tablespoons water
11/2 teaspoon ground ginger
Pinch of sea salt

TOMATO SAUCE:
3 plum tomatoes
1 white onion
2 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
4 basil leaves
Dash of dry sherry
Sea salt and ground white pepper

RICOTTA FILLING:
600g good quality full fat ricotta
1 white onion
150g grated gruyere
3 eggs
25g butter
2 lemons
Sea salt and ground white pepper to season

GARNISH:
60g golden saxifrage
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil

METHOD:
Start with making the pastry, place flour, cheddar, ginger and salt in large mixing bowl. Cube the butter and add to dry mixture, rub butter into flour until well blended together then add egg and cold water. Lightly knead together until only just combined. Wrap pastry in cling film and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest.

Grease a fluted flan tin with removable base 30cm in diameter and 3cm deep. Once the pastry has rested roll out on a floured surface until about 4-5mm thick and line the tin with pastry, pinch and press down around the edges and refrigerate for a further 30 minutes.

Once pastry has rested using a folk prick the base of pastry 10 times and line with grease proof paper then fill with uncooked rice or dried legumes, bake in oven set at 200ºC for 12 minutes. When the pastry is baked remove parchment paper and legumes and bake the pastry for further 8 minutes until golden brown.

To make the tomato sauce peel and finely dice the onion, crush the garlic and roughly dice the tomatoes. Warm a sauce pan over a medium heat and add olive oil followed by onions and garlic, gently cook until onions have softened. Add the tomatoes, sherry and season with salt and pepper, cook until tomatoes begin to break down. When tomatoes become mushy remove from heat and pour into a food processor with basil, blend into a smooth sauce.

For the ricotta filling peel and finely dice the onion. Add butter into a fry pan and warm over a medium heat until the butter has melted. Add onion to fry pan and cook until onions become translucent then remove from heat. In a large mixing bowl add ricotta, onion, gruyere, eggs, lemon juice and season with salt and pepper, mix together until evenly combined.

Spread the tomato sauce over the base of the pastry then evenly top with ricotta and smooth out, bake in oven on middle shelf set at 180ºC. When the tart has finished baking leave to cool for 30 minutes before cutting into 8 pieces.

To garnish gently mix golden saxifrage, lemon juice and olive oil together and top each slice of tart with the dressed golden saxifrage and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment