Search This Blog

Friday, March 23, 2012

Hot Smoked Salmon and Kiwi Salad with Strawberry Dressing


As the weather has gradually been improving I've had seafood on my mind. Over the last 2 and a half years I haven't used much seafood at Kaffeine because I'm presented with the challenge of not making anything to order not that I'm complaining. The pressure of people ordering from a menu and waiting can be some what over whelming. I prefer the office idea of a dead line 11:50am food ready for lunch.
Smoked foods usually last longer and are more resistant to contamination.
Here's the recipe for my new favourite salad and no I wasn't smoking anything when I thought of combining kiwi and strawberries with hot smoked salmon. You'll find the sweetness of the fruit brings out the chicory and honey flavours of the salmon. Enjoy and happy summer 2012!

400g hot smoked salmon
4 kiwi
100g baby spinach

DRESSING:
200ml kecap manis
50ml calvados brandy
150g hulled strawberries
1 green jalapeno sliced
1 clove garlic crushed

METHOD:
First make the dressing place all ingredients in a sauce pan and bring to a light simmer over a medium heat and cook till the strawberries are just tender then remove from heat. Place the dressing in a food processor and blend till smooth and leave to cool.
Peel the kiwi then slice in half length ways and slice into 2mm semi circles, wash the spinach and lightly pat dry or use a salad spinner.
Now its time to construct the salad, on a large platter lay out half the spinach leaves then evenly distribute half the kiwi slices over the spinach. Gently flake the salmon and sprinkle over salad then drizzle the desired amount of dressing over the top then repeat the process again with another lay and serve as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment